The Unveiling of the Statue of Millicent Fawcett in Parliament Square

Today I attended the historic event of the unveiling of the Millicent Fawcett statue in Parliament Square. It was a great occasion which was truly inspiring! 

This is a double historic first! Not only is it the first statue of a woman in Parliament Square but it is also the first statue there to be sculpted by a woman artist, Gillian Wearing, an award winning conceptual artist who was one of the YBAs (Young British Artists).

For me, the iconic moment was the unveiling of this statue. Here are my 2 photos depicting the unveiling:






I love the statue. I think the words on the statue: Courage calls to courage everywhere is a motto which galvanizes me, and hopefully all of us, to want to continue her work to achieve gender equality. It's high time!

I also took the back of the statue to show the suffrage coloured flags flying in Parliament Square:






I think this event has brought feminism to the fore and shown both its role in history as well as how it is vital to change in society and the way forward for improving gender equality now and in the future.

Comments